Monday, January 26, 2009

Twelve weeks to go

The triathlon is twelve weeks from yesterday. It was about three months ago when I started training, so I guess I’m halfway there. Let’s do a progress report based on the eight disciplines of triathlon training that I wrote about.

FIERCE TORTOISE TRIATHLON ACADEMY
MID-SEMESTER PROGRESS REPORT

1. Swim: Much better than when I started. I have a full swim stroke, but I’m not very good at breathing yet. I get out of breath very easily – maybe I’m swimming too hard or not enough. I’m confident I will make the distance. If I have to, I’ll just backstroke.
Progress: B

2. Bike: I’ve only done one real outside bike ride. It was very difficult! I’m concerned. In the race, it’s legal to walk your bike, or stop to rest, but I very much want to ride the full distance. I need to get more saddle time once it warms up.
Progress: Incomplete/not started

3. Run: I’ve been doing interval training for about two weeks. I walk for two minutes and jog for 90 seconds. Gradually the time will increase until I’m running a full 5k. I already plan to walk part of the run, but maybe I won’t have to! That would be great. And I absolutely have to be able to run across the actual finish line, even if I walk the three miles before it.
Progress: A-

4. Transitions: Haven’t really practiced these, but since I don’t care about time, I don’t really have to do them quickly. Mostly I will need checklists so I don’t forget anything. I still don’t know what I’ll wear. I won’t be able to change after swimming, so I’ll wear the same thing for the whole race. Do I bike and run in my bathing suit or swim in my gym shorts?
Progress: N/A

5. Mental: This is not a problem. I’m motivated, I’m focused. I will do this race; it’s not even a question. I mix up my training so I don’t get bored.
Progress: A

6. Nutrition: Ah…well. Yes, Mr. Hall, and what exactly are you eating these days? My food choices are not stellar. I like having pizza and chocolate and nachos! Not every meal, but more than I should for an athlete in training. I’m tracking my nutrition and calories, which makes me more aware of what I’m eating. Sometimes when I’m making a choice I picture myself in full race gear saying “Dude, please just eat one cookie. It will help me out a lot in April.”
Progress: C-

7. Recovery: I’m great at this. I stretch all the time, before and after exercise. I warm up, I cool down. I listen to my body and if I need a day to rest, I rest.
Progress: A

8. Studying/Learning: Still all over beginnertriathlete.com and other sources of tri knowledge every day.
Progress: A

Instructor’s notes: Overall, Matt is showing strong progress towards his goal of completing a triathlon. He could benefit greatly from better nutrition. In the spring, he needs to get on the bike as much as possible. Additionally, he is a fierce tortoise.

No comments: