Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The eight disciplines of triathlon

How do you train for triathlon? Most people know you need to work on swimming, biking, and running. But for me, there are actually eight parts to training. I’ll list them all and address what I’m doing about them currently.

1. Swim 2. Bike 3. Run: The big three. I’ll write other posts for each of these, so I won’t go into detail here. I plan to train to 125% of race distance. Train hard, race easy.

4. Transitions: The switch between sports. Transition 1 (T1) is the change from the swim to the bike. Transition 2 (T2) is the change from the bike to the run.

T1 will be, well, challenging is too strong a word, but it will be something. I’ll be all excited and stupid from being in the middle of my first triathlon and I bet I’ll forget something. I’ll need a mental checklist. I’ll have to towel off, put on socks, shoes, race number, helmet and sunglasses, and go.

T2 shouldn’t be that hard for me. I’ll just rack my bike and switch my helmet for a visor. I’m wearing the same shoes and the same clothes.

I’ll practice both of these transitions before the race. They’re part of my time, and I would like to be on autopilot as much as possible so I don’t forget anything important.

5. Mental: This is my #1 training area right now. I'm spending a lot of time at the gym, but I’m spending even more time thinking about the race and what I need to do to get there. I’m still establishing the habit of regular exercise. I’m doing really well, but I can’t become complacent (a lesson I learned from Mr. Obama). I have motivational music I listen to while I work out that says I’m going all the way, never surrender, I won’t back down. I visualize all parts of race day, from getting up early to the post-race meal. I just spend time believing.

6. Nutrition: This matters a lot for longer triathlons. I'm doing a fairly short sprint triathlon, so it’s not much of a concern for me. On race day, I’ll probably have my regular breakfast of oatmeal and coffee plus lots of water and/or Gatorade during the race.

Food is a concern during my training, however. Since I began training, I am more conscious of what I eat. I’m thinking of food as fuel for the machine instead of snacking as a hobby. In general, I'm eating less and eating better, and when I have a splurge day on the weekend I feel okay about it because I'm burning 500-700 calories a day at the gym.

Specifically, I try to eat a huge breakfast, a big lunch, and a modest dinner. I have a banana first thing in the morning to fuel my workout, and maybe again in the afternoon if I get hungry. I drink water all day long.

7. Recovery: Often forgotten but vitally important. I rest when I need to, I stretch a lot, and I am very careful not to increase my workout level too quickly.You don't make gains during your workouts; you make gains between your workouts.

8. Studying/Learning: I’m absorbing books, magazines, websites and podcasts about triathlon. I’m picking up little tips everywhere and saving them in a Word file for review. (This is, honestly, part of my addictive/obsessive personality where I completely get consumed by a new interest for a while.)

No comments: