Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Current workout program

My current workout program:

On weekdays I get up at 5:30 and go to the gym. Mon/Wed/Fri are land days. I do a brick of riding the stationary bike for 6.2 miles, which takes about 22 minutes. (6.2 miles is 10k, the distance I’ll be doing in my first sprint Tri in April.) Then I “run” on the elliptical machine until I have to leave the gym at 7:00. That usually lasts about 33 minutes, or 2 miles. This way I am practicing both of my land sports.

My original plan was to do the bike and run legs of the tri as a regular part of my workout. That would make the race easy since I did it every day for six months. Unfortunately, I have to run slowly to keep my heart rate from going crazy, so I can never get to my race run distance of 3.1 miles (5k) before my time is up (and I do not want to get up at 5:00!) so I may stop doing the bricks at least one day a week and just do the elliptical machine.

Tue/Thu are swim days. I’m just getting started with the Total Immersion program. Today I got to drill 3 (of something like 15 total). I’m not even using my arms yet, just learning to balance in the water.

Weekends are wide open. I may walk a 5k, or go hiking, or work in the yard, or go to a yoga class, or maybe even take a rest day. The weekdays are for the tightly scripted gym regimen and the 5:30 reveille, but the weekends are just for fun. (And sleeping in!)

No comments: