Saturday, November 1, 2008

And do you feel scared? I do.

And do you feel scared? I do.
But I won't stop and falter.
Howard Jones - "Things Can Only Get Better"

This song played while I climbed the sterneous hill today. I realized that I am not scared about my ability to complete the triathlon in April if my training continues. I am already way ahead of where I thought I would be this far into the training. I'm losing weight, my clothes fit better, I don't gasp and choke at the top of the stairs at work.

Then I looked at the conditional part of my previous thought: "if my training continues." I realized that I am scared of my ability to continue my training. I have quit a lot of things in my life; or, to be more accurate, I have abandoned and failed to complete a lot of things, and I do not want that to happen here.

I have to remember that the days when I really really don't want to work out are the days when I need to do it the most.
I have to remember that I'm gonna be iron like a lion in Zion.
I have to picture getting up the morning of race day, driving to the race, swimming in the pool, biking the race course, running across the finish line, chowing down after the race with my wife and brother-in-law, and looking at my finish line photo at my desk.
I have to remember that I am FIERCE TORTOISE.

No comments: