Thursday, November 20, 2008

New record low weight!

I hit a new record low weight today, as you may have guessed by the post title.

I haven't been too concerned with weight loss during this program. Male triathletes who weigh more than 200 pounds (like me, definitely) have their own division. They're called Clydesdales. (Women over 150 are called Athenas.) I figure if there are so many big competitors that they need their own division, I'll have plenty of company. I am keeping a spreadsheet (nerd!) of my weight, but it's more for mild interest and entertainment than a major area of focus.

I have noticed changes in my body. My legs are hard and muscular and I notice little things that aren't obvious to others, even my wife. Things like how my stomach feels when I turn over in bed, or how my calf muscles touch when I sit with my legs extended. I'm losing fat but gaining muscle, and that's why the scale seems like it's going slow, and why I'm not depending on it to tell me how well I'm doing.

One reason I've started thinking about my weight more is that it seems blindingly obvious that carrying less weight in a triathlon would be an advantage. Less weight = less effort = better race. So I'm keeping a sharper eye out, but still not on a special diet or anything.

What else? Still up at 5:30 to hit the gym. It's early, but it's great having that out of the way every day. I never have to miss a workout because I'm tired at the end of the day or feel rushed to get home to spend time with Cortney. And all day long I have the pride that already that day I have taken steps towards my goal, which makes it easier to walk away from the candy bars in the vending machine. It's a big old feedback loop, y'all.

No comments: