Wednesday, October 15, 2008

First day swim

Today I started learning how to swim using the Total Immersion technique. (www.totalimmersion.net) It's very popular with triathletes. In a triathlon, you swim, then bike, then run. The swim is always the shortest leg of the race. You don't win a triathlon in the swim; you just get through it so you can get to the bike and run where the real race is. The TI technique is about swimming efficiently and conserving as much energy as possible. It has a series of drills that start easy and become more difficult. Today was ridiculously easy - I basically floated on my back for forty minutes. It was very frustrating because I would kick and just barely creep down the lane. Next time, I get to float on my side, wheee! Eventually I'll be swimming for real, but today my small victory was just getting in the pool.

No comments: