Saturday, October 11, 2008

So, being a huge nerd and a fan of Excel spreadsheets, I made a spreadsheet for my training. The distances of the Trideltathon in April are 400 yard swim, 6 mile bike, and 3 mile run. Cortney and I have been walking about a mile several days a week, but I still want to start slow and increase gradually. I figure I should train to 150% of the race distances so that race day won't be as difficult.

Anyway, I went to the gym to ride the bike on Wednesday, and according to my spreadsheet, I am riding 1/2 mile (just getting started, you know?). I jump on the stationary bike...and rode 1/2 mile in about four minutes. Hmmm...methinks this spreadsheet needs a redesign. So I rode seven miles instead! Sweet! Only took about thirty minutes and my legs weren't sore the next day. I guess my bike training will be more about speed and just getting used to the distance.

I still haven't done anything in the pool, but I am committed to get wet on Monday. I have no idea how it will go. I remember swimming the length of an Olympic pool (50 yards) when I lived in Chicago (about 15 years ago!) and practically drowning. The pool at my gym is a "junior" Olympic pool, which means it's 25 yards long and only 5 1/2 feet at its deepest, so at the worst I can just stand up and walk out. The swim will definitely be my weakest event so I will need to train that a lot. But I have six months and I'm committed - I know I'll get there.

Fierce tortoise!

No comments: